Plantain & Cassava Tikki Chaat Waffles
Servings: 3 (2 waffles/person)
• 1 green plantain
• 3/4 cup Cassava flour
• 3 eggs
• 1 tsp cumin powder
• 1 tsp coriander powder
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
• 1/4 cup water
• Creamy cilantro chutney (or buy online / in a store) for topping
• Tamarind date chutney (or buy online / in a store) for topping
• Chopped red onion for topping
• Whipped yogurt for topping
• 1 fried egg per serving for topping (optional)
• Chopped jalapeño or Serrano chili for garnish
• Pinch of coriander powder or fresh cilantro for garnish
In a blender place peeled and chopped plantain, cassava flour, coconut oil, water, 3 eggs, cumin, coriander and salt. Blend until smooth.
Heat your waffle maker. Place batter in waffle maker and let cook. Remove waffle from waffle maker when it’s golden brown. I have a mini waffle maker so I used 2 tbsp of batter to make one waffle. It took 2 minutes of cook time for each waffle.
Meanwhile, fry up a few eggs with just salt and pepper (one egg per serving of waffles). I kept my yolk runny.
Place 2-3 waffles on a plate. Top with one fried egg, red onions, and generous amounts of cilantro chutney, tamarind chutney, and a drizzle of yogurt. Add a pinch of coriander powder over waffles, or garnish with fresh chopped cilantro. Also garnish with a few thin slices of jalapeño or Serrano chilies. This plate is one serving for one person.